In these months WhatsApp was working to implement a lot of new features. The most recent one is a search by date feature for iOS and new tools for Storage Usage for Android.
Today we’re going to post an announcement providing new information about Animated Stickers.
- You need to update your WhatsApp version to the 126.96.36.199 Android beta and 188.8.131.52 iOS beta versions or newer updates, in order to view Animated Stickers. WhatsApp Business is included.
- Previous updates might get the feature as well (for example the 2.20.61 iOS update from the App Store), but WhatsApp is always used to enable features in recent updates (that might contain bug fixes and improvements for the feature), so you should install the updates as above mentioned.
- If you have already updated to the most recent version available and you don’t see the feature, please back up your chat history and reinstall WhatsApp if you don’t want to wait more.
Every time you reinstall WhatsApp, the most updated configurations from the server are downloaded, enabling the feature for you.
- If you have reinstalled the app and the feature persists to not be enabled, unfortunately the only thing that you can do is to wait: the feature will be automatically and slowly enabled in the next updates very soon for everyone!
The feature Animated stickers consists of three parts:
- The possibility to view animated stickers. When you’re able to view animated stickers, you can save and send all received animated stickers.
- The possibility to import animated stickers from third parties. Third parties can offer their own animated stickers packs. A lot of animated stickers creators were working in these months to provide animated stickers to be imported into WhatsApp.
- The possibility to download default animated sticker packs from the WhatsApp Store, currently implemented in the app.
WhatsApp is currently rolling out, for specific users, the possibility to view animated stickers. The rollout is not for everyone, but don’t despair: the feature is not complete without the other two parts (the process for importing and downloading animated stickers).
So, in order to get the full feature, we have to wait for a full activation for those three parts.
Unfortunately the current implementation does not loop animated stickers. We have no idea if WhatsApp will decide to allow looping them or if they will offer a toggle to enable it.
What does it change for us? Some users were able to send animated stickers (that were always visible from WhatsApp Web): so, if you receive any animated sticker from a contact, and you have received the activation for the first part of the feature, you are able now to view, save, star, send and forward it.
It’s very complicated to verify if the feature is enabled for you: you should receive an animated sticker from an animated sticker creator in order to see if the first part of the feature is enabled for you (or from someone that has previously received it from a creator, so he can forward it to you).
I’ve received the activation for viewing animated stickers: where to find new animated stickers? Unfortunately animated stickers are very rare now, and only specific animated sticker creators are able to send them to you. Surely there will be a lot of animated stickers when the other two parts of the feature will be enabled.
We’re going to post an announcement when WhatsApp will allow to import and download full animated stickers packs.
Let us know on Twitter if you like this feature and read our next announcements on our Telegram Channel!
WABetaInfo has a Discord Server about WhatsApp, where you can chat, give advice, ask for help to other participants and read my announcements!