WhatsApp is finally rolling out a very useful feature on WhatsApp for Android today, to make messaging more private: discover the details below!
|Name of the feature?||View Once|
|Compatibility?||WhatsApp beta for Android 18.104.22.168 is marked as compatible version.|
|I’ve the same version but I don’t see this news, why?||WhatsApp is rolling out the feature right now for specific beta testers. If it’s not available for your WhatsApp account, please wait for the next updates.|
|Previous article?||WhatsApp beta for Android 22.214.171.124: what’s new?|
We talked about a feature called expiring media in the last months, better known as view once: photos and videos sent using this mode can only be viewed once, and they disappear from the chat after you dismiss the photo or the video.
Mark Zuckerberg and Will Cathcart confirmed to WABetaInfo that this feature was coming on WhatsApp very soon and they kept their word: WhatsApp is finally rolling out this feature on WhatsApp for Android today!
How to verify if the feature is already enabled for your WhatsApp account? It’s very simple: just check if there is a view once button when sharing the media:
When you send photos and videos using view once, they can only be viewed once, and you’re notified when the recipient has opened them:
When photos and videos are set to view once, the media will disappear after you close it:
What you should know when you share a photo or video using view once:
- If you disable read receipts, the recipient will still see if you have opened the photo or video set to view once, but you cannot see when the recipient open yours. In groups you can see when other participants open expiring photos even if you have disabled read receipts.
- The recipient might save the photo or video taking screenshots or video captures, and WhatsApp won’t notify you because there isn’t a screenshot detection: be careful!
- You can also share photos and videos set to view once in groups, and you can see who opened them in Message Info.
- Blocked contacts in common groups can still open those photos and videos: in fact, they cannot message or call you but they can still interact with you in groups.
- If you send a photo using view once to people that haven’t this feature enabled, the view once feature will still work and they can only view it once.
The feature is available today for all Android beta testers. If you don’t see this feature, please wait for the next updates that will help to get the feature.
Other people that didn’t join the beta program can only receive photos and videos set to view once. The activation for iOS beta testers will be following later.
Stay tuned to discover the latest news about WhatsApp for Android and iOS!
Let us know on Twitter if you like this feature and read our next announcements on our Telegram Channel!
WABetaInfo has a Discord Server about WhatsApp, where you can chat, give advice, ask help to other participants and read my announcements!