In these months, WhatsApp is developing many new features that will be available in future and, in the meantime, the team is working to improve features that are already implemented in the app.
Some weeks ago I’ve presented a new feature (under development) that allowed to play voice messages directly from notifications.
Today we have great news for you..
- You need to update WhatsApp to the 188.8.131.52 beta version from TestFlight, in order to use the Audio Playback feature.
- WhatsApp Business beta for iOS 184.108.40.206 is also eligible to remotely get the feature.
- The WhatsApp Messenger and Business 2.19.90 App Store iOS releases might get the feature as well, but WhatsApp is always used to enable features in recent updates (that might contain bug fixes and improvements for the feature), so you should install the beta update as above mentioned.
- If you have already updated to the most recent version available and you don’t see the feature, please back up your chat history and reinstall WhatsApp if you don’t want to wait more.
Every time you reinstall WhatsApp, the most updated configurations from the server are downloaded, enabling the feature for you.
- If you have reinstalled the app and the feature persists to not be enabled, unfortunately the only thing that you can do is to wait the next update: the feature will be automatically enabled very soon for everyone, when WhatsApp will start to expand the test!
518 days, 9 hours, 18 minutes and 26 seconds ago
Check out TestFlight or Twitter daily to discover new availabilities.
We’re happy to announce that WhatsApp is finally starting, for a few users, to roll out the Audio Playback feature!
Let’s explain how to verify if it’s enabled.
The procedure is really simple! If you have read what we wrote above, you know that it’s necessary the WhatsApp Messenger 220.127.116.11 beta update (or WhatsApp Business beta 18.104.22.168, rarely it works with official App Store updates).
If you are on this beta version, we can start to test in order to verify if the feature is already available for you!
There are two features available, and sometimes, this rule is applied:
- Voice Message Playback: likely available on beta version if the last digit of your phone number is odd.
- Audio File Playback: likely available on beta version if the last digit of your phone number is even.
Sometimes the opposite might also happens. I’m not sure when this rule is applied, but in many cases it worked.
Just ask to your contacts to send you a voice message, when WhatsApp is closed: when the notification comes, you have to expand it and you should see now the Audio Playback UI, if the feature is enabled for you:
The new Audio Playback feature in notifications also work with a normal audio file!
Due to iOS limitations, you can just reply with text messages. Playing a voice message does not immediately send the play receipt, but it will be sent once the user opens WhatsApp.
WhatsApp is randomly enabling, for WhatsApp Messenger and WhatsApp Business for iOS, the possibility to play voice messages OR audio files from the notification, using the rule of the last digit of the phone number (sometimes).
If you are lucky, you can start to use one of them, based on your phone number (both will be released later for everyone).
If you are totally unlucky, it might be needed to wait another update to receive both features. Don’t worry, it’s absolutely ok: as I said, WhatsApp is randomly enabling the feature for a few users, and they will expand the test soon.
Let us know on Twitter if you like this article and read our next announcements on our Telegram Channel!
WABetaInfo has a Discord Server about WhatsApp, where you can chat, give advice, ask help to other participants and read my announcements!