After publishing an article that describes some problems and solutions to back up your chat history, there is a new guide to fix another serious issue.
|Guide about?||Backups may get stuck|
|Platform?||WhatsApp for Android|
|Thanks:||The redditor u/torojet for the guide!|
|Previous article?||WhatsApp is working on the ability to pause voice recordings|
A lot of users experience an issue where it’s impossible to restore a WhatsApp backup because the process is stuck at 100%. After 1 year, the cause is still unknown and the user has no choice but to give up, losing the entire chat history.
Fortunately, the redditor torojet has discovered how to fix this issue and I wanted to give visibility to the procedure.
- Unlink your WhatsApp account from Google Drive: visit https://drive.google.com, log into your Google Account, then open Settings > Manage Apps > WhatsApp Messenger (or WhatsApp Business) > Options > Disconnect from Drive.
- Uninstall WhatsApp.
- Using a file manager, go to “/user/Android/Media/com.whatsapp/WhatsApp/Databases”, select the most recent database file and rename it to “msgstore.db”, leaving unchanged the .crypt extension. For example, suppose its extension is “.crypt12”: the database file should be renamed to “msgstore.db.crypt12”. If the path does not exist, try with “WhatsApp/Databases” or “/user/WhatsApp/Databases”.
- Install WhatsApp and log into your account using the same phone number.
- WhatsApp will try to get the backup from Google Drive but, seen that we have unlinked WhatsApp from Google Drive, it’s unable to find it: this is what we want because WhatsApp will successfully select the local backup that we have previously renamed!
- After restoring your chat history, you can now link WhatsApp to your Google Account opening the backup settings.
This guide finally fixes the issue and we thank torojet for sharing this useful procedure!
Follow WABetaInfo on Twitter to always be up to date when there are more guides about WhatsApp, and you can also discover all other changes implemented on WhatsApp beta for Android, iOS, Web/Desktop and more!
Let us know on Twitter if you like this article and you can visit this page to discover where you can find WABetaInfo!
WABetaInfo has a Discord Server about WhatsApp, where you can chat, give advice, ask for help to other participants and read my announcements!