WhatsApp has just submitted a new update through the Google Play Beta Program, bringing the version up to 126.96.36.199.
What’s new in this update? Discover all details below!
|Name of the feature?||Disappearing messages|
|I’ve the same version but I don’t see this news, why?||WhatsApp is currently rolling out disappearing messages. It might take a while before receiving the feature. Please be patient.|
|Compatible versions?||Beta versions, but some users are reporting to receive the activation on stable builds.|
|News about iOS?||Some iOS users should start to see the feature when the next major iOS beta update will be available on TestFlight.|
After publishing some information about disappearing messages, WhatsApp is finally ready to enable the feature for beta users.
WhatsApp is now starting to roll out disappearing messages for some users. It means the roll out is very slow actually, so there is nothing wrong if you’ve updated WhatsApp and you don’t see the feature yet.
Let’s see how to verify if the feature is already available for you.
Open Contact Info or Group Info (if you’re a group admin) and you should see a new row called disappearing messages:
Do you see the feature? Good, you can start to enable disappearing messages today! Let’s open this section:
This introduction explains how disappearing messages work. WhatsApp explains some basic things to know:
- If a user doesn’t open WhatsApp in the seven day period, the message will disappear. However, the preview of the message might still be displayed in notifications until WhatsApp is opened.
- When you reply to a message, the initial message is quoted. If you reply to a disappearing message, the quoted text might remain in the chat after seven days.
- If a disappearing message is forwarded to a chat with disappearing messages off, the message won’t disappear in the forwarded chat.
- If a user creates a backup before a message disappears, the disappearing message will be included in the backup. Disappearing messages will be deleted when a user restores from a backup.
- The recipient might forward or take a screenshot of a disappearing message and save it before it disappears.
- The recipient might copy and save content from the disappearing message before it disappears.
- The recipient might take a photo of a disappearing message with a camera or other device before it disappears.
After enabling disappearing messages in a chat, you can see an expiration icon on the profile picture of the contact:
When someone toggles disappearing messages in an individual chat or group chat, you will receive the information directly in the chat:
The process to receive disappearing messages is totally random: WhatsApp is initially starting to enable it for a few users, making the roll out very slow, and in the next days the activation will be extended to more users. Some iOS users should start to see the feature when the next major iOS beta update will be available on TestFlight.
Let us know on Twitter if you like this article and read our next announcements on our Telegram Channel!
WABetaInfo has a Discord Server about WhatsApp, where you can chat, give advice, ask for help to other participants and read my announcements!