WhatsApp has recently submitted a new update through the Google Play Beta Program, bringing the version up to 2.19.55.
Finally there is news: let’s find out together what is new ..
- The Group Invitation system is not available yet.
- WhatsApp is working on the feature in this update in order to add improvements and fixes for the feature, before to enable it for everyone. Being under development, it’s ok if you have updated WhatsApp and you don’t see that option.
- The feature will be enabled in future and it requires a lot of time to be enabled, because WhatsApp wants to ensure the best bug-free experience for you.
I’ve already announced the Group Invitation System feature in an iOS article, and finally I’m ready to announce that the first hidden tracks have been found in the Android app too, precisely in the 2.19.55 update!
The Group Invitation System is a new WhatsApp feature, under development, that will allow you to choose who can add you to groups.
Currently, as you already know, everyone can add you in groups without your permission. The Group Invitation System will help us to prevent this situation.
In future, when the feature will be remotely rolled out on our Android devices, we can find a new Groups option in Privacy Settings:
If you open this new section, you will be able to configure it, choosing who can add you to groups:
Every option listed in this section has a different behaviour:
- Everyone: when the user selects this option (that’s the one enabled by default), he can be always added to groups.
- My Contacts: when this option is selected, the user can be always added to groups, but from his contacts only.
If someone else, not present in his contacts list, tries to add him, he will receive a private invite to join the group.
- Nobody: in my option the best option to choose, the user cannot be directly added to groups, in any situation.
It means that he will receive a private invite everytime someone wants to add him to groups.
I do not know when the feature will be enable because, as above mentioned, WhatsApp is working to improve it and to avoid any possible bug before the release. I will announce when the feature will be rolled out, so stay tuned!
Let us know on Twitter if you like this feature and read our next announcements on our Telegram Channel!
WABetaInfo has a Discord Server about WhatsApp, where you can chat, give advice, ask help to other participants and read my announcements!